Wednesday, January 16, 2013

You Know You're a Mom When(sday)

As most of you know, I quit my job in November. The past two months have been, in a word, incredible! I absolutely love spending each day with Morgan and now that our schedules don't conflict, I actually get to see my husband every day (something that didn't always happen when I was working)! 

I've always considered myself to be a pretty engaged parent. I genuinely enjoy spending time with Morgan (and Shylee when she is here) and since she was born, I've longed for the opportunity to just be home with her. That being said, I'll be the first to admit that being a stay at home mom is, well, a little different than I expected it to be. While the past several weeks have been full of fun and sharing countless precious moments with my daughter, they have also brought about some of the worst "UGH!" moments I've had since becoming a parent. And so, in the spirit of fun (and a little frustration) I present the first "You Know You're a Mom When(sday)". 


- You yell at your kid for yelling at you.

- You don't realize until the end credits are rolling that your child has been asleep for the past 20 minutes and you just watched that entire episode of Calliou by yourself. 

- You're woken from a deep sleep by toddler feet smacking you in the face. 

- You can recite an entire collection of children's books word-for-word without looking at a single page. 

- Everything your family needs to survive for a week can be found in your purse or on the floor of your car. 

- Your idea of "me time" consists of three minutes alone in the bathroom. 

- You proudly tell other parents about the new "incentive program" you've implemented when what you really mean is, "I've been bribing my kid with candy." 

- You accidentally cut your husband's sandwich into quarters like you do for the kids. 

- The words "stop washing your hands in the toilet" and "please don't bite the dog" leave your mouth on a regular basis. 

- Having chicken nuggets and french fries for dinner four nights in a row seems like a totally rational idea.

- You realize that the thought of an uninterrupted nap is more exciting than the thought of uninterrupted sex. 


What are some of your "You Know You're a Mom (or Dad) When..." moments? 
Share in the comments or write your own post and share the link! 

4 comments:

  1. LOL!!! I STILL have whole passages of kids' books memorized from when the triplets were babies.................... 10+ years ago! I could probably quote entire Sandra Boynton board books on command.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I am not quite at this stage yet which makes reading it even more fun! I was super excited the other day to get "me time" while I quickly hopped in the shower. Of course I then found myself playing shower curtain peek-a-boo because a little someone didn't like the idea of me time. Sigh! Those 30 seconds of alone time sure were nice though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think husbands ever quite get that last one. At least mine doesn't. Hahaha....

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great post Jenny! I was LOL on some of these no doubt! Since I am not a stay at home dad I can see where some of these will be coming into play very soon. I agree 10000000% on you last statement that a dad will never understand this! The importance of sleep :)

    I love your personality Jenny its hilarious!!

    I hope you and your family are feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!