Monday, October 29, 2012

That time I thought I was dying

Details and "the rest of the story" will follow but for now, here are a few of the highlights:

- I'm in the hospital again.

- I scored my first trip in an ambulance on Tuesday night after having spent most of the evening in my local emergency room.

-The crippling back and chest pain I was experiencing with each and every breath in addition to the unusual heart palpitations I'd had a few days earlier made for an excruciating interesting evening of physical and mental torture all kinds of medical testing.

- The diagnosis: Pulmonary Embolism

- More tests conducted when I arrived here at the U of U revealed that there were actually multiple clots in both lungs, as well as one slightly larger clot in my heart that had attached itself to the tip of my port.

- We are about 98% certain the blood clots were caused by my birth control (which makes the text message I sent to my cousin a few nights before the incident that read "I think my birth control is killing me!" seem a bit less dramatic).

- At one point I had three separate points of access to accommodate all the meds they were pumping into my body - my port plus two peripheral IVs.

- That was before I went into surgery to have my port pulled; now, several days later, I'm down to a dual lumen PICC line. I was able to properly grieve the passing of my port when my surgeon brought it to my room in a bag later that night so I could say goodbye.

- One day (I think it was Thursday?) I decided to count the number of needle-sticks I got in a 24 hour period. I lost count after nine.

- This has been without a doubt the most terrifying and painful experience of my entire life! Almost a week later, I feel like my head is still spinning. I'm physically, mentally and emotionally exhausted and still in pain a lot of the time, but I do feel like things are getting better each day.

- For everyone who has been aware of the situation, I want to let you know how much I appreciate your positive thoughts and words of encouragement! Adam and I couldn't have made it through this last week without your love and support. From the bottom of my (slightly malfunctioning) heart, thank you, thank you, thank you!

4 comments:

  1. I'm honestly shocked by how many of my friends (most of whom are perfectly healthy) have had PEs from the pill. Makes me nervous, even though I've never had any bad effects! I'm always paranoid about clots because of my port, though. I'm very attached to that thing (ha - no pun intended). Glad they're able to get you straightened out! Oh, and counting the needle sticks, IMO, is only ever a way to end up reeeeeally depressed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny,

    So sorry to hear of your rough couple of weeks and being in the hospital. Be glad to team up with Adam and see if we can break you out of there. Of course we would need one of those helicopters to make the escape. Morgan could probably pilot it for us huh?

    I just knew something must be going on healthwise with you since you haven't blogged lately and was hoping it wasn't too serious. It sounds like it was but praying you are on the way to recovery now.

    Please take care of yourself!

    Larry (GA)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry you had to go through all of that! Absolutely terrifying! Glad to hear you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers for a speedy recover from a concerned blog reader!

    ReplyDelete

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!