Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Skeleton Zombie Child

Over the past few days, Morgan and I have spent quite a bit of time browsing through Halloween costumes online. She doesn't quite understand what the day is all about, can't remember what we've done previous years, and keeps asking when we get to go to this mysterious place called Halloween. But what she does know for sure is that we get to dress up, and it's an idea she is very excited about!

"You can be anything you want to be," I told her. But once we began looking, she didn't seem too thrilled with her options.

"Do you want to be a princess or maybe a fairy?"

"No. I don't like to be a princess."

"Hmmm, what about an animal? Like a monkey or a dragon?"

"No, Mama. I wanna be a monster."

"A monster, huh?"

So I pulled up a few cute little monster costumes like this one:


"No, Mama. I wanna be a SCARY monster!"

And that's when she saw it -- her dream costume!

"That's what I want to be, Mom. That scary green guy!"

"That guy? Are you sure?"

"Uh-huh. I love him. And I can be him and I can be scary and say Raaawrr!"

I thought it was a passing phase. Children are fickle, you know. I was sure that by the time I pulled up the costume website again this morning she would have changed her mind. I showed her a few different costumes, all of which she immediately poo-pooed. But when she saw "her" costume pop up in the recently viewed items section, she squealed with delight.

"There he is, Mom! That's the green guy I wanna be!"


Seriously. She's not backing down. She wants THAT costume! While I generally encourage her to make her own decisions and don't want her to feel the need to conform to certain social expectations (especially when it comes to "boy vs girl" toys/clothes/activities, etc.) I do have a few issues with this costume:  

1) It's a little scarier/yuckier than we usually like. I'm all about the spooky and fun side of Halloween, not so much the gory and gross side. 

2) I'm not really sure what the elderly people in my neighborhood will think about my three year old daughter standing on their doorstep in a skeleton/zombie costume. Last year we all dressed up as pirates and saw a few lifted eyebrows over that. "Oooh a pirate," they'd say. "Shouldn't she be dressed like a sweet little princess?" 

3) I don't particularly want to spend the time or money making or buying a costume like this when I can achieve a similar look simply by letting Morgan play in my mother in law's makeup. 


So I'm giving it a few more days, hoping she'll change her mind. I've shown her some other costumes that are a little more typical for a girl her age, but she isn't budging yet. She still wants to be Skeleton Zombie Child. 

Just one more reminder that she is most definitely her father's daughter!   

3 comments:

  1. This makes me smile! What an amazing little girl you have. She knows what he wants and goes for it: )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Gosh! I can't stop laughing! I read this post thrice already and it gets funnier each time! Morgan certainly is something special. You're one lucky momma, and she's one lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck with that (and by "that" I not only mean halloween, but the next 18 or so years.)

    ReplyDelete

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!