Thursday, February 16, 2012

On my mind right now

Some random things:

- I want to sincerely thank all of you who have sent me encouraging and comforting messages over the past week. Seriously, minutes after posting about my miscarriage I started receiving texts, emails and messages on facebook. "I'm so sorry," they said, or "I love you guys, please let me know if there is anything I can do to help." And the messages didn't stop for days - still haven't stopped in fact. I am blown away by the love and concern that has been extended, and I love each and every one of you for it. From the very bottom of my heart, THANK YOU.

- Strangely, some people I'm very close to, people I've known for years and have real-life relationships with (even a few I'm related to) have acted as if nothing happened at all. I know talking about miscarriage probably makes most people uncomfortable, but the fact that they haven't mentioned anything at all makes me feel like they just don't care. NOT talking about it makes it the elephant in the room, which just makes everyone feel awkward.

- Though Dixie's puppies won't be ready to go to their new homes until mid-March sometime, I started advertising to sell them weeks ago. I've probably received about 30 phone calls and/or emails about them and can I just say.... strange group of people, The Puppy People. One guy asked me if I'd be willing to trade a puppy for a "well-used X-box and an old cross bow". Though it sounded like a killer deal, I reluctantly passed. Another potential buyer was hoping to get a little female to breed with her chihuahua. Because a french bulldog and a chihuahua would create such lovely puppies, no? Then just today I spoke with a man twice about one of the male puppies. He was excited enough the first time we talked that he forgot to ask me a few questions, which is why he called the second time. Then while I was at work he tried to call again... four more times. When I finally had a chance to check my missed calls and listen to my voicemail, I was a little surprised to hear two messages that consisted of nothing but a TV blaring in the background and some heavy breathing. I'm pretty sure that if he ultimately decides to come look at the puppies we'll be meeting at a neutral location, because there is NO WAY I'm giving this dude my address! The puppies have been fun and I'll be sad to see them go, but I'll be so happy when I don't have to deal with The Puppy People anymore.

- Some very, very exciting news! My sweet friend Sharlie who has been awaiting a double lung and heart transplant got The Call last night. Turns out the organs were a match and she got her transplant today! Here are some recent updates from the Sharlie's Angels facebook page:

All of her organs have been sewn in. Her lungs inflated "perfectly". Her bleeding is better than typical CF patients.....no transfusions yet. The procedure has been smoother than they believed it would. Our next update will come from the surgeon after it's over....believed to be a couple hours from now.
Success! The head surgeon just came out and gave us the great news. Her heart is functioning well. Her lungs are already up to 50%, a level she's never been at before. They believe her lung function will rise as she heals. We'll have a better idea about the health of her new lungs shortly. We were able to see her for a short moment when they wheeled her out....she looked so peaceful. We'll be able to see her soon. We're so thankful for your love and support.
Sharlie is resting comfortably in the ICU. They'll keep her on the ventilator till about 6am tomorrow at which time she'll breathe on her own for the first time. She'll be able to converse a bit and, I imagine, shed a tear.
I'm so excited for Sharlie to have this new chance at life and I pray that all goes well. She is an absolutely incredible woman who deserves only the best! Please take a moment to send some positive thoughts to Shar and her family, as well as the family of the donor who made this miracle possible.

- On that note, are YOU an organ donor? Did you know that each day 18 people in the United States die while waiting for an organ? Did you know that a single donor can save up to eight lives? Did you know that anyone can become an organ donor regardless of age, race or medical history? Did you know that all major religions in the United States support organ, eye and tissue donation? In fact it is seen as the final act of love and generosity toward others. Did you know that an open casket funeral is possible for organ, eye and tissue donors as the body is treated with care, respect and dignity throughout the entire process? Did you know that if you are sick or injured and admitted to the hospital, the number one priority is to save your life? Organ, eye and tissue donation can only be considered after you are deceased.

(To learn more about organ donation visit: http://donatelife.net/ or http://www.organdonor.gov/index.html.)

1 comment:

  1. I just want you to know that I am a donor!!! I hope everything is going well at your home.

    ReplyDelete

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!