Saturday, January 21, 2012

30 Days of Blogging: Days 5 and 6

Since I've missed a few days, and since days five and six go hand-in-hand for me, I'm doing both of them today. What happened to day four, you ask? Forget about it! (I hope you read that last part in an exaggerated Donnie Brasco-style New York accent, because that's totally how I'm saying it in my head. "Fo'get about it!")

Day 5: Talk about your pets
Day 6: A photo of an animal you'd love to keep as a pet

As Dixie enters the final days of her pregnancy (and has even started showing signs of the first stage of labor) I think it's an appropriate time to tell you a little more about her.

Dixie then

A few things about Dixie:

- She is a five year old french bulldog. We got her in 2007, and she was the first real pet that Adam and I got together (fish are not "real pets" in my book).

- Her full name is Dixie Belle; some of her nicknames include Dixardoodaloo and Puppalup.

- She likes to shower. When she was a puppy, if I didn't close the bathroom door tightly behind me, she would frequently push the door open with her nose and jump right into the shower with me.
Dixie now - ready to
POP at any moment

- While she'll drink from her water dish or the toilet bowl if she must, she prefers to drink cold water straight from the bathtub faucet. She likes to jump into the tub and lick the faucet, making a click-click-click sound until I turn the water on for her... which I will do eventually. I've been facilitating her ridiculous behavior for five years now, there's no point in trying to change things this late in the game.
 
- She snores and farts like a drunken old man.

- Dixie has actually had puppies once before, and as it turns out... it was one of the most traumatic experiences of my entire life. She had to have a C-section (which is very common for french bulldogs) and, though the surgery went fine and she had 5 healthy puppies, she did NOT react well to the drugs. She was still a little loopy when she came home from the vet, and long story short: she ended up killing (and eating most of) 4 puppies in a matter of about 15 minutes. Fortunately, Adam was able to save the last one. After keeping mama and baby apart for several days and reintroducing them gradually, Dixie eventually became a great mom. Needless to say, we are hoping things go more smoothly this time around.

This is the only recent picture
I have of her that isn't just a blur
Our other dog is little Nora Kae, a miniature dachshund. My family had a "weiner dog" named Appy for a looong time (pun intended) when I was growing up. She was such a funny, sweet little dog! I've always told Adam that I wanted another dachshund at some point in my life, so when the opportunity to get Nora presented itself I just had to do it. Adam was a little surprised and will claim that he doesn't like her very much, but he definitely has a soft spot for her (I catch them cuddling together on the couch on an almost daily basis). She is such a sweetheart and has been a great addition to our family!

~~~~~~~~

Are you taking part in the 30 day blogging challenge? Leave a link to your blog in the comment section below so I can go check it out!

3 comments:

  1. I've completed 3 of the 30 days so far - got the idea from your blog that I found through CysticLife. I think it's a nice change from the typical 'update' posts all the time. I've enjoyed reading your posts, hopefully you'll enjoy mine as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just jumped on...we'll see how it goes. I hope Dixie and her pups fare better than the last round. Question, how do you download videos from YouTube? I'm so not savvy with computers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colleen, thank you for leading me to your blog! I read a few posts today, and will check back often if that's okay. ;)

    Emilee, I sent you a message about the videos. I'm excited to see your posts!

    ReplyDelete

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!