Tuesday, January 24, 2012

30 Days of Blogging: Day 9

A photo of the item(s) I last purchased:

Milk replacer, bottles, syringes, antibiotics,
vitamin and iron supplement

Without going into too much detail, I just want to say that yesterday was a very long, very stressful day. It started with a healthy mama dog giving birth to a sweet little puppy with an awesome set of lungs, and it ended with my sister-in-law and I bottle-feeding nine (count 'em.... NINE!) newborn puppies because their mama was too sedated, sore and weak from surgery (a C-section and emergency spay) to care for them.


Aren't they the cutest little balls of fur you ever saw?

But we're doing okay! Dixie is feeling noticeably better today and all the puppies made it through the night... even the tiniest one who had me pretty concerned last night. Dixie has been strong and alert enough to care for the puppies (three or four at a time) throughout the day and she's doing a great job, though the puppies still need to be supplemented since her milk is having a hard time coming in (my guess is from all the stress and blood loss during surgery).


Morgan's favorite thing about the puppies is
their bright pink feet and noses

I, on the other hand, am COMPLETELY EXHAUSTED! More than anything, this experience has made me realize that I was NOT cut out to be the mother of many. This whole "getting up at all hours of the night to feed nine hungry mouths" thing isn't as fun as it sounds.

Now if you'll excuse me, there's a Red Bull in the fridge and a hungry puppy calling my name.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I bet you are exhausted. I am so glad my babies have come one at a time...that would suck...hehe literally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which just goes to prove that we were never meant to litters. Octomom was an idiot!!!! I always said it is a good thing I never had twins (which run in my dad's family)because I would have never had any more kids and I might have given one of them away. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats - they are beautiful!! If I lived closer, I'd help you out (and probably end up bringing a few home - haha!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny,
    Beautiful pups!! Congratulations to you and Dixie, the two Mamas!!! Maybe Dixie will be able to take over the full responsibilities soon.

    "GA"

    ReplyDelete

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!