Saturday, November 5, 2011

National Adoption Month


When I learned that November is National Adoption Month, I knew that I wanted to post something about it here. As many of you already know, my sister and her husband adopted their two children. I could tell you that Halle and Miles are some of the cutest, funniest little kids I've ever known and I'm so incredibly grateful to be their aunt (though I don't get to see them nearly as often as I'd like). I could tell you that Chris and Teresa are absolutely amazing parents. I could go on and on about how I truly believe that Halle and Miles were always meant to be my sister's kids, but I won't. Not today.

There's something else that I just can't stop thinking about today: the courage, selflessness, sacrifice and pure love of not only Halle and Mile's birth mothers, but of so many other women as well. Since I don't have any personal experience in this area, I wanted to share with you something that Teresa wrote in a Mother's Day post earlier this year:

To these two amazing and strong young women I owe a debt of gratitude that I can truly never repay. Because of their heartbreak, my heart was healed. Because of their pain, I have happiness. Because of them I am a mother...

...I don't know if I could have had the bravery that these women did. I don't know if I could have had the strength to make the same choice. I love them. I admire them. I thank them. And on this day, every year, I recommit to be the best mother that I can be, not only for my children, but also to honor the decision of these birth mothers.

She is a mother. As a mother myself, I truly believe that is the greatest gift a person could give. So in honor of my sister and her sweet family, the countless children waiting to find a permanent home, and the strong women who bring children into this world and selflessly place them in the arms of another, I wanted to share a few things that you can do to help celebrate National Adoption Month.

   * Read the Presidential Proclamation. (That link will take you to this year's proclamation, but I personally like last year's even more, so here's the link to that one as well.)

  * Write a letter to your local newspaper about how adoption has blessed your own life or the life of someone you know.

 * Find and share songs or videos about adoption. I liked this one by Mark Schultz, written for and dedicated to his birth mother, whom he has never met.


   * Read an adoption story as a family.

   * Ask your local library to display adoption-related books.

   * Learn more about positive adoption language.

   * Write a blog post about adoption.

   * Spread the word about National Adoption Month on your blog or Facebook.

2 comments:

  1. thank you for this, Jenny. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post. I loved what Teresa wrote:) Its so true. My husband and I have been waiting for 3 years to have a birth mom choose us so I appreciate you posting about adoption:)

    ReplyDelete

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!