Thursday, September 1, 2011

Wherein I go just a bit more insane

I haven't been sleeping well lately. I'm being totally honest and vulnerable when I say this so please try not to laugh at me. I think my house is haunted.

I'm not afraid of people breaking into my house with ill intentions nearly as much as I'm afraid of seeing/hearing/feeling/basically coming into any contact whatsoever with an unearthly presence. I know that thoughts about the supernatural vary greatly from person to person -- are ghosts real or aren't they? can they hurt you or not? -- to be honest, that's a little deeper than I care to venture right now. Suffice it to say that my thoughts on the subject are pretty simple: THAT SHIT IS SCARY!

The past few nights have been rough. I've been hearing something that sounds like a scratching or rustling of some kind, seeing flashes of movement out of the corner of my eye, and freaking out every time Dixie (also known as She Who Is Too Lazy To Bark) starts growling under her breath and charging at seemingly nothing but thin air. I was honestly beginning to think that we were not alone in this house.

What happened tonight proved that I was right.

After I put Morgan to bed I began hearing the same scratching noise I've heard all week long. Only this time I'd had enough and instead of turning the TV volume up and cowering under a blanket on the couch, I began searching for the source of the sound. Eventually I determined that it was coming from behind my cedar chest (a high school graduation gift from a very special family, and my favorite piece of furniture in the entire house). I stood there silently for a few moments, wondering what exactly my next move would be, then I got down on my hands and knees and slowly peered under the cedar chest.

And that's when I saw it.

I screamed when I saw it's dark eyes staring back at me. My heart felt like it was going to beat right out of my chest as I quickly backed away. I then ran directly to Adam's gun safe, opened it, and grabbed the first thing my hand touched. A bit dramatic, maybe. But in my defense, logic has a way of going straight out the window when you find yourself face to face with a creature like THIS:








(wait for it)






(wait for it)





AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! 


This is not actually my mouse. I was far too panic-stricken at the
time to worry about taking a picture.

Yep, I've been losing sleep over A MOUSE! And not even a giant man-eating mouse. Just a regular ol' cute little mouse with big please feed me eyes. For the record, I didn't shoot it but we will definitely be purchasing mouse traps tomorrow. And I believe I'll sleep a bit easier tonight.

3 comments:

  1. We had the same problem at the house we are staying at right now. We went from not seeing anything to having poop all over everywhere in a matter of 2 days! We put out traps and have caught 7 total. Really disgusting but we haven't caught any in the past couple of weeks so I'm thinking we have killed the whole family of mice that thought we should share a home. I know exactly how you feel!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, normally mice wouldn't be a welcome discovery, but I guess I'd rather have mice than ghosts! I am so the same way and when Chris is gone I hate bed time because my imagination runs wild about things like that. But this past time he was gone I discovered that if I stayed up until 1:00 in the morning I was usually so exhausted by the time I went to bed that I was too tired to freak myself out. Not a wise health decision ( I am paying for it now) but possibly better than near anxiety attacks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny,

    You're a hoot!! I bet Adam was telling you all along that it was probably a mouse. Hope you've caught the culprit by now.

    ReplyDelete

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!