Tuesday, May 10, 2011

That dog

Remember that scene in Lady and the Tramp when Tramp warns Lady about life after baby comes?


"Just wait 'til Junior gets here," he says. "You get the urge for a nice, comfortable scratch, and... Put that dog out! He'll get fleas all over the baby! You start barking at some strange mutt... Stop that racket, you'll wake the baby!"

He goes on to tell her that someday soon her juicy cuts of beef and warm bed by the fire will be replaced with leftover baby food and a cold, leaky dog house.

Oh yes, things would change after that baby came.

Dixie has never seen Lady and the Tramp. Well, not that I know of anyway. I guess I can't guarantee she hasn't stuck it in the DVD player, popped some popcorn and snuggled under some blankets on the couch to watch it while we were at work one afternoon. The point is that as far as I know no one ever warned her that things might change after Morgan was born.

Now, she doesn't have to sleep outside and we have never given her strained peas for dinner, but Dixie's life is very different than it was a couple years ago. For starters, she used to be allowed to cuddle in bed with me in the morning. As soon as Adam left for work, Dixie would come running into the bedroom and curl up right next to me and we'd sleep that way for another hour or so until I had to get up. That doesn't happen anymore.

She used to sit at my feet when we watched TV, she went on car rides with me almost daily, she'd follow me around the house as I did household chores or got ready for work in the morning, and she was known for sneaking in the bathroom and jumping right in the shower with me. But now there's a little person who follows me around everywhere and, well, Dixie would just rather stay in bed where there is less chance that she'll be mounted like a horse and have her ears used as handlebars.

I never thought my love for my baby girl Dixie would change but if I'm being totally honest, after I had Morgan, Dixie kind of became that dog. I'm a little ashamed to admit it and Dixie is understandably upset. Okay, okay, "upset" may be a bit of an understatement. She now spends most of her time curled up in her bed listening to angry music, and the other day I actually caught her reading a copy of Listening to Depression: How Understanding Your Pain Can Heal Your Life. She hasn't made eye contact with me ever since.

Do you think it's too late for Lady and the Tramp?


On the bright side, at least now when Morgan wants to learn about poetry or black eye makeup, we'll know who to send her to.

3 comments:

  1. poor dixie :(
    You know, I used to really want a dog too, until I got a baby. Now I am a little indifferent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teresa, I'm pretty indifferent too now.

    ...until Adam starts talking about getting rid of her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh she is cute.. i'll take her.. LOL

    ReplyDelete

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!