Friday, May 13, 2011

Because you asked

I know a few of you have been looking for a health update. I know that because a few of you have actually emailed me asking for a health update. Really. People read my blog and then they email me. Isn't that just the neatest thing?

I've been home from the hospital for about a week and a half now. I've been exhausted since I got home -- no, really, EXHAUSTED! -- physically, mentally, and (perhaps most of all) emotionally. It was a hard stay for me. Honestly, I have never had such a difficult time recovering from the hospital.


Taken three weeks after my PICC placement.

There is always an adjustment period when I get out of the hospital. It seems like since my life came to a screeching halt for two weeks, everyone else's should have as well. I'm not sure what I imagine the rest of the world doing for two weeks, but it's always strange for me to realize that life goes on outside of the hospital.

I came home on a Friday and had to go right back to work the following Monday. Morgan got sick the same weekend I was admitted and was still sick when I came home. Since then, Adam has also been sick. Adam has been working a lot of mandatory overtime lately, moving the longwall. (Not sure what "moving the longwall" means exactly? Join the club. It's coal miner talk -- something I don't even pretend understand yet. But when I search for "longwall" on Youtube, this is what comes up. Kinda neat.)

I kind of feel like I've been put through the wringer: a painful, stressful, and emotionally charged hospital stay, coming home to a sick little one and soon enough a sick husband as well, immediately returning to work, feeling like a single parent while my husband busts his butt for 70 (or more) hours a week, dealing with random fevers and (a new development as of tonight) a sore throat myself.

I don't mean to complain, really. I know it sounds like I'm feeling pretty down and out right now, but I'm actually not... too much. I do feel better than when I went in (my PFT's jumped up 31% in that two weeks, so obviously my lungs are feeling much better) and I'm getting more energy back with each passing day, it's just been harder to appreciate those things with everything else that's been going on. Maybe the reason I've been delaying this post is because I didn't want to sound dramatic.

So, to sum it up: I'm feeling better every day. I may have caught Adam and Morgan's cold (praying that's all it turns out to be). I'm still a little battered and bruised from the PICC line from hell and I'm really, really, really, really tired.

But most of all, I'm just SO HAPPY to be home.

3 comments:

  1. She had another Easter??? Wow! That girl is so loved. So, it seems like every time you start running fevers, you end up in the hospital is that how it works for most CF patients. Is that how it works for you or is that my imagination?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you are feeling better and I'm praying that you beat the exhaustion soon! That picture of you two is absolutely adorable. She's a lucky little lady to have you as her mama! Big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I experience that same disconnect when I get out of the hospital. I always feel like this event which made such a huge "dent" in my life should have equally affected everyone else, too! Glad I'm not the only one....

    Sorry it's been a rough time back. I so, so, SO totally understand. My long and horrible recoveries are the #1 reason I hate the hospital!

    ReplyDelete

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!