Friday, April 8, 2011

A less expensive hobby


Until last summer, I hadn't been to the dentist for five years.

I began experiencing painful sensitivity to both cold and sugar which was making it difficult for me to eat things like Skittles and Tootsie Rolls. I wasn't sure how I'd survive if such a vital part of my diet was off-limits, plus I thought maybe it was time I put the dental insurance I'd had for three and half years to use, so I finally caved and made an appointment with the first dentist someone suggested.

During that initial appointment I was pleasantly surprised to discover that my new dentist was... well, let's just say he certainly wasn't the worst thing to look at (some of you may remember a previous post about this). But more importantly, as it turns out, he is the best dentist I've ever had!

In the past year I've had more dental work done than I had in the previous ten years. Part of that is due to my own neglect, part is just plain bad luck. I've had four cavities filled, two teeth pulled, one broken tooth, one root canal, two temporary fillings (both of which fell out as the tooth around them chipped away) and I'll be getting a crown done on Monday.

The ladies I work with tease me that I'm just using my "bad teeth" as excuse to get some time in with Dr. Beautiful. I try to tell them that's not the case -- that if I were looking for a new hobby, I'd choose something less expensive than crushing on the dentist. But they remember all too well a certain dream I may have had about said attractive dentist. (Yes I tell my coworkers about inappropriate dreams. I mean, why wouldn't I? I tell the entire internet.)

Anyway, the joking has been fun and has become a "thing" between me and several people I know, but I feel the need to make an official statement that 1) he is honestly a very, very good dentist 2) I am a happily married woman, and 3) I DO NOT GO TO THE DENTIST SIMPLY BECAUSE HE IS ATTRACTIVE... but it does make sitting that chair a bit easier.

After the crown on Monday, my teeth should be in pretty good shape and these excessive visits to the dentist's office can hopefully come to an end. Then maybe I'll finally get around to doing something about my terrible eyes.

A lady I work with tells me the local opthamologist is a fox...

No comments:

Post a Comment

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!