Friday, April 15, 2011

Just a quickie

After the weekend, I'm hoping to post a lot more. But for now, here's a quick rundown of today's events:
  • We got up early and began the 2+ hour trip to clinic.
  • I spent about an hour and a half of that time rehearsing in my head what I was planning to say to my doctor in order to weasel my out of the entire two week stay. I was hoping I'd be able to talk them into a week inpatient, followed by two weeks of home IV therapy.
  • The time that wasn't spent planning and rehearsing was spent praying that Adam's defensive driving would not be the death of us today.
  • We dropped Morgan off with a friend who lives literally right off the freeway.
  • Immediately upon leaving their driveway, we became lost. So I had to call for directions -- to that freeway we'd just been on minutes before. The freeway I could actually see while I was talking on the phone. Have I ever mentioned that neither Adam nor I are city drivers? I mean, you put me on a street with more than two lanes and it's like putting a chihuahua behind the wheel. We both get all bug-eyed and shaky. But I piddle less than the chihuahua. Usually.
  • We made it to clinic safe and sound. That is, if you don't count the encounter Adam and an elderly woman had on the freeway in which one or both of them may have flipped the bird.
  • PFT's came first and they were, well... how should I say this? Horrible? Shockingly low? I'm going to stick with what my doctor said and call them "a little bit awful". They have dropped nearly 30% from one month ago!!!
  • At that point I could see my plans to negotiate literally grow legs and run far, far away.  
  • Two hours later, I was shown to my room -- the very same room I was in just four months ago, by the way.
  • About an hour after that I experienced the most traumatic PICC placement I've had to date. Let's put it this way, if I had to choose between pushing another human being out of a very tiny part of my body or having that PICC line placed again, I'd choose childbirth ANY AND EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK.
  • Our friends, Holly and Evan, brought Morgan and their boys to visit but I was so doped up from the Adavan they gave me before my PICC placement that I don't really remember much of what was said... or when they left... Sorry, guys.
  • Now I'm doing my final treatment for the night while Adam and Morgan are lying together reading magazines.
Aren't they just the cutest? That's "Tactical Weapons" she's looking at, by the way.
Like father, like daughter.

I hope to update often (as there really isn't much else to do once the family heads home after the weekend). I want to thank everyone for their help and well wishes. There are a few of you that I honestly couldn't do this without.

9 comments:

  1. Praying for you my dear!!! Get those PFTs up and start feeling better fast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending lots and lots of love!! Hope the meds help the plan that grew legs walk back and you get to go home early!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this may sound abit weird/crazy, but I would like to know more about the picc placement. Im so sorry your pfts were so awful. It is the most frustrating thing! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow 30%!?
    Praying for a quick recovery! Hopefully they will let you go home on IVs. My hospital usually does just 3 days and sends you home to finish them.... I mean if you don't have to be there that is....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like I'm looking in a mirror reading your post! I was in just 4 months ago, my numbers dropped dramatically in just 1 month, my PICC placement was extremely painful this time! I hope you get your meds and start to feel better as quickly as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you friends, for your sweet thoughts and comments.

    Emilee, I may dedicate an entire post to PICC's sometime this week, so stay tuned. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending lots of healing vibes your way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hang in there, J-Living! Peaceful things and lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry you were admitted. I hope you get well very quickly and are able to go home soon!! Take Care!

    ReplyDelete

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!