Saturday, March 5, 2011

Happy Birthday

Adam is a huge fan of birthdays. Maybe I should rephrase that... he is a huge fan of his birthday. He probably doesn't care so much about yours.

Birthdays are nice and all, but I'm just not THAT into them, so I haven't done a very good job of celebrating his birthday in the past. There was that one time I bought him a card that simply said Hi, I'm not wearing any underwear. But more often than not, I just give him cash and tell him to go buy himself somethin' pretty.

I'm not really sure when I became such a guy.

Anyway, this year I decided to actually put some thought into his birthday -- which happens to be today! First, I actually made him a cake.


Then, while Adam was at work, the girls and I decorated the house with balloons, streamers, banners, and stars hanging from the ceiling.



(I realize you don't get the full effect from these pictures. In fact, I intentionally didn't take pictures of the whole house because then you would all see the disaster area we live in. However, I did include several pictures of our pineapple couch later in the post. Go ahead and criticize that all you want.)

We also posted little notes all over the house. They said things like thank you for... or I love you because...


Some of the messages Shylee asked me to write were incredibly cute and sweet, like thank you for letting me spend time with you. Others were... well, at least she's honest. That has to count for something.


Adam has been working the swing shift at his new job which means that he doesn't get home until about 1:30 am. The girls had to go to bed before he got off work, but I promised to wake them a few minutes before he'd be home so they could help surprise him.

When I woke them up later that night/early this morning I immediately questioned if it was such a good idea. Neither of them were very happy.


But their moods improved quickly.




When Adam got home, we had a little party. He opened his gifts and blew out the candles.




And, yes, we allowed our kids to eat cake at 2:00 in the morning. They can never say we're boring parents. 


(You probably would've never noticed that my couch has pineapples on it if I hadn't mentioned it, huh?)

Happy birthday, Adam! I hope you know how much we love you!

6 comments:

  1. I think you could probably keep giving Adam that card each year. I don't think he'd mind and you'd be recycling. It feels good to be green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me, I so wouldn't have. Also, Adam doesn't look so happy to be awake at 2am either.....by the way, what does he do exactly at the mine??? Is it dangerous?? I'm so curious. Also, Mo's hair in the first few pineapple couch pictures is hilarious. Also, love the one of you and the girls. Good facebook or blogger profile picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I never knew they were pineapples. I love the picture of the girls' grumpy faces when you woke them up! Tell Adam happy birthday from us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where does one purchase a pineapple couch, anyway? I LOVE that you had this 2am party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a nice birthday party celebration. I bet he was surprised with it all and is looking forward to the next one...especially if the card is included. (I agree with the recycling comment.) And the cake looks delicious btw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stacey, about the couch...

    Trust me, pineapple couches aren't very easy to come by. I won't go into detail about how we got it, but I will say it involved the exchanging of blood and the cooperation of one very helpful Norwegian stripper.

    Or, maybe it's just a hand-me-down from a friend.

    ReplyDelete

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!