Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Some pretty awesome news

No, I'm not pregnant. Why is that the first place everyone goes? The good news is that Adam got a new job! In a little less than two weeks, I'll be livin' the life of a coal miner's wife.


The thought of him being a coal miner scares the bejeezus outta me, but the mine he will be working in has one of the highest safety ratings in the nation. He will be making more money... a lot more money (and I'm not ashamed to admit that the money is a huge part of this job's appeal. I mean that's why people work, isn't it - to bring home a paycheck?) but that's really not what it's all about for us.

Adam has been at his current job for seven years, and he's been mistreated (to say the VERY least) almost the entire time. I'm really biting my tongue here, because if I get into just how bad his work situation has been, I may end up saying some very regrettable things. He's basically been forced to stay in a crappy situation because 1) the economy 2) the fact that we live in such a rural area and jobs are incredibly scarce, and 3) he was able to get health insurance there, which is a NECESSITY for us.

Even still, there were several times things got bad enough that he was ready to quit (being laid off on Christmas Eve one year and Thanksgiving the next, being lied to and disrespected, being told more than once no, you can't take your wife to the hospital or you'll be fired) and I can't say I would have held it against him if he'd just walked out. If he weren't so darn responsible, he'd have given up and quit years ago. The fact that he's stuck it out for our family's benefit is one of the qualities I love most about him. (Don't laugh. Responsibility is totally sexy. If you don't believe me, try being with someone who won't get a job and leaves the toilet seat up all the time. You'll be calling me up within a week to ask if my husband has any responsible brothers you can hook up with.) He's more than paid his dues, and it's about time he catch a break. Not that this new job will be easy... but at least it will be worth his effort.

This job will provide great benefits and a financial stability we've never had, which opens a bunch of doors that have been closed to us in the past. We'll soon be able to afford our house on our own; no more renting the upstairs out! Also, with the possibility of me being able to stop working (eventually... I love my job too much to think of quitting anytime soon) we can start talking to my doctors and exploring our options for future kids. I know, exciting right?

We're anxious for this huge change and excited to see what it means for our future. If you see Adam, go ahead and give him a HUGE high-five!

P.S. There's a song (by Sara Evans for you country music fans) that talks about seeing that special man walking out of the coal mine covered in dust, T-shirt tight, all muscled up. I'm not gonna lie, that sounds hot. And it might be kinda fun to be that wife who just can't wait to get him home, ain't gonna have nothin' but the supper on. Just sayin'.

6 comments:

  1. Congratultions! Im so happy for you guys. Having responsible amazing husbands is totally in:) Mine told me he met you too! Small world, or small Sanpete rather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so happy for you. That sounds amazing--well the last part about the song, a little gross :) Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great news. My husband was in the same situation, it is so nice they put up with so much for their family. I am excited for you guys,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, that is so exciting! I'm happy that it worked out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone! It's nice to have other people excited for us, too.

    ReplyDelete

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!