Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I heart Valentine's Day

We honestly aren't huge Valentine's Day fans in our house. That's not to say that we dislike the holiday; we get the girls a little valentine and we really enjoy the abundance of chocolate (especially when it's discounted 50% the day after the holiday) but it's basically just like any other day for us.

Yesterday I worked for a few hours, then dropped Morgan off at my mom's and went with Adam to his pre-employment physical. The mine requires that he get checked out by a doctor of their choice before he actually starts work. From what we'd heard, we expected a urine test and a quick "turn your head and cough" (which is either strangely sweet or incredibly creepy on Valentine's day -- depending on how you look at it). It actually turned out to be an extensive exam, including several different tests at three separate locations. We started at the family clinic where he had an eye exam and a basic physical exam which, sadly, consisted of absolutely no inappropriate touching. Adam couldn't have been happier about having his boy parts left alone, but I have to admit I was a little disappointed. I wanted him to get just a little taste of what it was like for me to have half the people in the county put their hands in my lady parts while I was pregnant. Is there no justice in this world?

After his physical exam, we went to a hearing center for, well, a hearing test (just in case you didn't gather that from the words "hearing center"). Turns out, Adam's hearing is nearly perfect which just goes to prove that he really can hear me asking him to take the garbage out.
 
The last portion of the physical was pulmonary testing, complete with a chest x-ray and albuterol treatment. I do PFT's on such a regular basis that I don't even think twice about it, but it was really strange for me to see Adam in the hot seat. I was interested in comparing our lung function, so I asked the technician what Adam's FEV1 was. She looked at me like I was INSANE. She honestly couldn't tell me and explained that all their tests had to be sent to Utah Valley Hospital to be read by a pulmonologist. So after she gave us a print out and we left the room, I took a look at his numbers and quickly calculated his percentage. The hospital will be receiving a bill for my services.

Three hours after we started his "physical", we were finally finished. And starving. We decided to stop at KFC for a quick bite before heading back to pick Morgan up. And as we sat there eating together I realized we were having dinner. ALONE. On Valentine's Day. I mean, you could even go so far as to call it a date. It was kind of nice, actually. Earlier in the day I joked on Facebook about how nothing says I love you like "turn your head and cough". The truth is, nothing says I love you like a bucket of fried chicken and holding hands in the car on the drive home.

3 comments:

  1. I have to admit, that I also am very disappointed that they have yet to do a "turn and cough" on my hubby :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, whose PFT's were higher? Any by how much? You totally left us hanging. But KFC is a good date! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Holly - his are higher. Even after 10 years of smoking... there really is no justice in this world. (For the record, he only ever smoked at work, never around me or the house, and he did finally quit about a year and a half ago. Yay!) We decided that if I get my PFT's up to where his currently are (which, by the way is a good 10% higher than mine have ever been since I had Morgan) I get to go shopping with one of his bonus checks.

    ReplyDelete

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!