Monday, February 28, 2011

February 2011 Newsletter: 18 months

Dear Morgan,

Let me start off by apologizing. Considering how your entire world revolves around Daddy right now, it might be upsetting to you that he isn't the one writing this. Sorry for that. You have recently fallen hopelessly and completely in love with your dad (hey, I can't blame ya). You want to be wherever he is, eat whatever he's eating, and do whatever he's doing at all times. I expected this to happen at some point, but I must admit that I'm surprised at how quickly the transition has taken place. A friend of mine once told me how she absolutely hated it when her baby started wanting Daddy more; it made her feel bad that she was no longer the favorite. Personally, I love this new behavior of yours. Not only is it super cute to see your dad with his very own Mini Me, but seeing how happy it makes you to just be near him and witnessing the pure love the two of you posses for each other is nothing short of magical. I've decided that being surrounded by this much laughter and love is all I'll ever need in life.

Oh wait, I take that back. Since you've become so enamored with your dad, I can actually step out of the room without you throwing a fit and/or following me, which means that for the first time in a very long time I've been able to use the bathroom ALL BY MYSELF. I'd forgotten how wonderful it is to poop without an audience. So I guess all I really need in life is laughter, love and some alone time in the bathroom every now and then.

 

Some things (besides Daddy) that you currently love: brushing your teeth, juice, blankets, begging for coins to put in your piggy bank, cheese, playing dress up (especially with Shylee's princess gloves and plastic high heels), being outside, doing anything we've specifically told you NOT to do, jumping (well, attempting to jump), singing and dancing, running (away from me, particularly), sneaking food out of the fridge, pointing to and saying the name of body parts, books, getting your toenails painted, climbing onto the back of the couch any time my back is turned for 2.5 seconds, making animal sounds (although in your world, everything roars - from lions to butterflies) and putting on/taking off your own clothes.

When you were a baby, still brand new to me, I'd sometimes have to fight the urge to wake you from your nap before you were ready, simply because I couldn't get enough of you. The stage you are in right now is so much fun that I've recently found myself fighting that urge again. There are days that I have to physically stop myself from waking you up because I miss you and just can't wait to see what funny thing you'll do/say next.


I've mentioned before how I had no idea that you would be so innately female, but you constantly surprise me with the things that you know and do that are pure GIRL. And it's not as if we've taught you these things; they're simply a part of who you are. You are dramatic and moody and you're already learning how to manipulate your dad into doing things, simply by being cute. You adore anything that sparkles. You love clothes and shoes, especially high heels! I don't know if I'm more amazed or embarrassed by the fact that, at a year and a half old, you can walk in heels far better than I can.


Morgan, I know that you know I love you. This is something I make a very real effort to show you every day. But something else I want you to know, that I may not do as good a job of showing you, is that I don't take you for granted. Parenthood can be hard and frustrating at times, and I joke about my experiences with you, but I want you to know that I do understand how lucky I am to have you. I think the trials we'll face as your parents and all the sacrifices we'll make along the way are fundamental components of this adventure. As much as I love our fun times, I want you to know that I also appreciate the not-so-fun times because it's during the struggling that I grow and learn the most. There is so much about myself I didn't even know needed improvement until you came into my life and challenged me to become a better version of myself. Having you, more than anything else in my life, has helped me begin piecing together the puzzle of what it means to be a good person.


And so I will say again, I do not take my role as your mother lightly. I do not take this incredible blessing for granted, and most importantly, I do not take YOU for granted. Some people say that you never truly appreciate what you've got until it's gone, but I'm telling you that isn't always the case. I know exactly what I've got and I thank God for it -- for you -- every single day of my life.

Love,
Mama

6 comments:

  1. Spoken like a great, loving, and wise mom. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Josh. I don't know about the "wise" part, but I'm learning. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great post and I love the humor and sincerity of it all. Glad to see Morgan back in the picture instead of that McDreamy stuff. :>)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you say so much of what I wish I could articulate and I am just a little sad I didn't say/write it first.

    and jenny, seriously? another new vacuum?? (at least that's what the box Morgan is playing in looks like to me). you've got to get that under control!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teresa, that's NOT a new vacuum! Seriously, I'm not THAT sick...



    ...it's a carpet cleaner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's amazing the effect our children have over us. Sometimes I feel like a bystander watching cambree and bens relationship, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Daughters need that with their daddy's.

    ReplyDelete

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!