Friday, January 7, 2011

This bloggy internet thing that I do

I've recently been struggling with the idea of where my place is in this blogging world. Where do I fit it? Am I a mommy blogger? A CF blogger? Why do I keep a blog?

I read an article a few days ago that said to have a "successful blog" (whatever that means) you should choose one topic you're passionate about and stick to it; if you wander off topic, people will lose interest and stop following. Pick one topic? How boring is that? I don't really agree with this, although I guess I do see where they're coming from. I've felt at times that some people in the CF community aren't all that interested in my blog since a lot of my posts have nothing to do with CF. On the other hand, I've also felt that I do blog about CF enough to bore (and likely confuse the hell out of) "normal" people. I've wondered if I should have two blogs - one for life in general, one for my CF life - but for me, those things are one and the same. Plus, I think I'd have a hard time maintaining two blogs. So I continue jumping from topic to topic, and I think that at least most people have survived the experience unscathed.

In that same article, I read that you should only blog about subjects you are knowledgeable about so you can always provide accurate information to your readers. Let's just clear something up right now: if you read my blog for educational purposes, you've been coming to the wrong place. In fact, I would dare say that I have no clue what I'm talking about 85% of the time. I blog about life, and who the heck really knows what that's all about?

I've heard it's best to keep your posts short enough that the reader will read through to the end, but long enough to make it worth reading. I've published everything from one-liners to oh my gosh will she EVER shut up posts. So I guess we can toss that guideline out the window, too.

I've been told time and time again that you should never share personal information on a blog. Stalkers, you know. You may also run the risk of someone you don't like visiting your blog for the sole purpose of digging up dirt on you. Or worse, people you don't know could actually be reading your blog! First of all, I'm not that worried about stalkers. (I may have to eat those words later, and if I do, please take it easy on the I told you so's.) It just doesn't seem realistic to me that someone might read my blog and consequently decide to camp out in the bushes surrounding my house and spy on my family with night-vision goggles. Well, no one except that nice homeless gentleman whose been living in my backyard for a couple weeks now. But he and I have an understanding: he can peek in my windows every now and then as long as he agrees to keep the stray cats out of my yard. Obviously I'm kidding. Please, if you are reading this to blackmail me, don't tell people I have strange men sleeping at my house. Or worse, that my suspicious male friend kills cats who wander into my yard! (But if you are going to tell people, you should at least know that he doesn't just kill for pleasure. What he doesn't eat, he uses to make crafts. Want a cool necklace? I know just the place to get one.) As far as people I don't know reading my blog... well, isn't that just part of the whole blog experience? I'll admit to reading the blogs of people I don't know. Sometimes I contact them, sometimes I just lurk. I'm not creeped out by the thought of people I don't know reading the things I write. If anything, I'm flattered that someone other than me thinks my life is interesting enough to read about. (But if you happen to be a lurker, please know that you don't have to be. I'd love to hear from you!)

When it comes right down to it, the fact of the matter is that I don't need justification for blogging.  I blog because I enjoy writing. I blog because I get bored. I blog because I'm having a crappy day. I blog because at this point, this is the only record I'm keeping for posterity (I'm working on that). I blog because I want to continue connecting with awesome people. I blog because I've found an incredible community here. I blog to embarrass my mom (okay, that's not entirely true, but I'm sure she cringes frequently while reading this). And I blog because when you have kids as cute as mine you HAVE to blog about them. It's the law.

7 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE your blog just the way it is! You are honest and real. You are more than just CF, and that comes through. However, your experiences with CF are a huge part of your life, so I think they need to be there. It's you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog just the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My blog is so ADD...I guess that would be my demographic?
    Come on, who sticks to one topic...and who likes blogs that stick to one topic?
    I love your post...just don't write about this again, or I'll lose interest :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all of your blog---except that you added music. Now ever time I get here, (and my speakers are always up full blast so we can hear Dora, the Explorer in every nook and cranny in our house or Kyle starts to yell, "button, button," until you do), I get blasted with music. It startles me and my sleeping husband at 6:00 in the morning or some times 3:00 am when I can't sleep :) Something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies!

    And Holly, the music isn't actually part of my blog. It's part of that slideshow. So after I post a couple more times, it won't be on the first page which means no more early morning surprises. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you blog. I love the way you write. Who says you need to follow rules? Rules are for boring people, and my dear, you are no where near boring!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your blog just the way it is, so don't change a thing about the way you write. You're so humorous in describing your daily escapades and are a pleasure to read.

    You don't know me, but I've made comments before (Morgan and the Christmas tree), so I don't consider myself as being a "lurker".

    Beth stated it all very well...

    ReplyDelete

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!