Friday, January 28, 2011

Asking for your help

Please visit cff.org for more information about CF and how you can help

For some time now I have been saying that I want to do a CF fundraiser. I've gotten totally stoked about it a time or two (or six) but before I can really begin planning, I start second guessing myself. Do I have the organization skills to pull it off? What could I do that people would be interested in? What if nobody shows up? Then I get into all the I don't have time to organize something like that B.S. and before I know it, I've talked myself out of it. For a while, anyway.

Eventually the idea claws its way back into my mind and the cycle starts all over.

So, I've finally decided to DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! This summer, I want to do a fundraiser. I'm telling you this because I really need your help. As I mentioned, I've never done this before. I've participated in things here and there, but never organized something. So I'd appreciate any ideas or input you may have. Like, for starters, what kind of event do you think people might be interested in? Great Strides is fantastic, obviously, but I'm thinking something other than a walk, like maybe a concert put on by local singers/musicians (for starters, my family is FULL of INCREDIBLE talent) or... well, that's about where my train of thought derails.

Another thing, I'd like to make a CF awareness video to go along with all this. I'm hoping to get photos and a few words about a bunch of CF warriors. If you or a loved one are living with CF, or you have lost someone you love to CF, and you would be willing to send me a photo to add to the video, please let me know. I'm trying to gauge what kind of response I can expect and if I'll be able to get enough pictures for that project.

Any ideas or tips on how to navigate all this would be VERY MUCH appreciated! I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing! I'm going to need to stay motivated and I really want you to hold me accountable for this, friends. There are so many people who could benefit from this, and it's something I feel like I need to do. Any words of advice or encouragement would be very helpful!

5 comments:

  1. I think Great Strides might be a good place to start! I only say that because I am a team leader and was also trying to think of way to fundraise. I think the concert sounds totally awesome! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really have much advice for you in terms of ideas, but I do want to encourage you! I have been wanting to participate in a CF fundraising event for awhile, so I really commend you for starting one up. Sounds like it could be a lot of work, but very rewarding! It takes a lot to move passed just saying you are going to do something and actually doing it. Keep the momentum going! :) Many will benefit because of your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really have always wanted to throw some masked gala type deal, complete with silent auction... and then reality sets in that in order to pull of those fundraisers you need to put some money down first. haha.

    I do like the concert idea. I wonder if you post on the CF forums if you could get some videos of CFer's singing/playing instruments (along with maybe a quick word about their experience yada yada.... OR you could do subtitles with "their story" as they sing/ play.) That way you'd be able to stretch out your fundraiser if you were low on live talent? ALSO it'd be a nice way to string up some info on CF. =)

    I can bully my sister into breaking out her flute again now that she has shiny new lungs, I'm sure she'd be thrilled.

    GOOOOD LUCK! For some reason I'm so super excited you're doing this. I guess I too, have always thought about it, wanted to do it, got hyped up, and then chickened out. I'm rootin' for ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the concert is a good idea and the more businesses/people you can get involved with to help/donate stuff (like a venue) the better...my little brother has pulled together some fundraising events for school--if you have any connections to people working in a high school--this is a good project for kids in service clubs--like National Honors Society, etc. That way you can supervise/delegate but you have minions to do the grunt work.

    On another note...it is easier to plug into existing fund raisers and just raise awareness/involvement in the event--and possibly more fruitful because you wouldn't have to shell out dough for your own advertising, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have wanted to get involved and end up talking myself out of it. I would love to help in some way. My two brothers, one has CF are in a band called upside...they played a bit those summer and in my bias opinion are fabulous! Hmmm....I'll be thinking.

    ReplyDelete

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!