Friday, December 24, 2010

Wishing you and yours...

Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But the fire is so delightful!
And since we've no place to go
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Or, how about:

I oughta say no, no, no!
          Mind if I move in close?
At least I'm gonna say that I tried.
         What's the sense in hurting my pride?
I really can't stay.
         Aaah, but it's cold outside!


I've always enjoyed Christmas music, especially the fun, upbeat kind. In our house, all things Christmas are fair game the day after Thanksgiving -- including holiday music! This drives my husband absolutely crazy, but I like to think it's one of those quirky things that makes him love me even more. (We won't ask him for his honest opinion on that.)

Some of my favorite Christmas memories are centered around holiday music. Like the time my siblings and I all stood in a line - shortest to tallest - in front of my big bedroom window (to watch our reflection, of course) wildly waving our arms up and down to the tune of My Favorite Things. Or the time that my sister and I, after watching our town's Christmas Light Parade, walked arm in arm back to the car and made a lame, but very loud, attempt to sound Swedish (?) while singing Sleigh Ride. "Outside the snow is falling, yah. And friends, yah, they are calling yoooo-hoooo. Yah."

This year, just after Thanksgiving, I was driving when a familiar song came on the radio. Not one of the cheesy, fun songs I'm so fond of, but one that has a special place in my heart nonetheless. As I sang along to Hark the Herald Angels Sing, I was moved by the lyrics more than ever before -- especially by the third verse.

Hail the Heav'n born Prince of Peace,
Hail the Son of Righteousness!


Light and life to all he brings,
Ris'n with healing in his wings.


Mild He lays His glory by,
Born that man no more may die.

Born to raise the sons of earth,
Born to give them second birth.

Hark! The herald angels sing,
"Glory to the newborn King!"

THAT, my friends, is exactly what Christmas means to me. And since I couldn't possibly say it any better than that, I'm just going to leave you with a simple

Merry Christmas!

May you enjoy this season, whatever it means to you.


Light and love,
The Livingstons

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas Jenny!! I hope you and your husband and daughters have a wonderful holiday season, and i couldn't agree with you more on what christmas means. that is the true meaning of christmas. Have a wonderful Christmas. Merry Christmas <3

    ReplyDelete

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!