Thursday, December 9, 2010

Thankful Thursday (hospital edition)

I recently did a post about things I am thankful for, but in this particular setting (the hospital) I have become more acutely aware of my gratitude for some things I failed to mention in that post, so here goes... Thankful Thursday, hospital style.



1) I am thankful for the continuing advances in medicine and technology. When my oldest sister was diagnosed, CF was a "childhood disease". Meaning that people who had it just weren't expected to live past childhood, period. Now, the average life expectancy of someone with CF is 37 years. I currently have a neighbor down the hall who is in her late 50's. With all the treatments and medicine available, and with so many awesome people dedicated to researching and finding a cure, that number will just keep increasing.

2) I'm thankful that I have insurance to pay for the things I mentioned above. When $6,000 of medicine (for one month!) comes down to about $60 in copays, I really can't complain too much.

3) I'm thankful for the people who have made a career of helping others: doctors, nurses, surgeons,  respiratory therapists, etc. These people are nothing short of AMAZING!

4) I'm thankful that I've had especially great nurses and aides this stay. They have been competent, friendly, kind, and the bet I have with one of them about my PFT's is really motivating me to kick some booty in rehab.

5) That's another thing I'm thankful for -- rehab. Over the past several months, I've been limited on what physical activites I could participate in because of my achilles tendon injury. Well, it's finally healed enough that I can get a decent workout again, which is awesome! I've been alternating between a brisk walk on the treadmill (1.7 miles yesterday) or about 30 minutes on the NuStep. It's been great for my lungs and it's helping rebuild muscle I lost due to the injury.

6) I'm thankful to have not just one great doctor, but an entire team of them caring for me through this stay.

7) I'm thankful for new friends and surprise visitors. Because my family is a two (or more) hour drive away, I don't usually get a lot of visitors when I'm inpatient. This time around, however, some friends of my sister's who live here in Salt Lake have been stopping by with their two adorable little boys to keep me company. I thought it might be a little awkward the first time they came, since I don't really know them, but it wasn't awkward at all. I feel like I've known them forever, and it's been so nice to have visitors! (Thanks, Holly and Evan, for keeping me sane.) My cousin also came to visit recently and, although she hadn't planned on it, she ended up staying the night with me. It was really fun to catch up and get some much needed Niki-Time. I love me some Niki!

8) In the hospital, more than ever, I'm thankful for showers. Enough said.

9) This one might sound a little strange considering the fact that I've spent a great deal of the past week in a hospital bed, but I am so thankful for my health. Things could be A LOT worse than they are, and I am very blessed to be as healthy as I am.

What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!