Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Someday

I'm surrounded by babies!

The almost daily "We're expecting!" or "It's a boy!" announcements I read on my Facebook feed, the very pregnant women I see waddling walking though the grocery store, my sister's recent adoption of sweet Baby Miles, one friend's impending due date, another friend's plans to try to conceive -- all of these things are making me feel like I'm being bombarded by babies!

And the more I see and hear about these babies, the more I find myself thinking... I want another one.

Now, let me explain: I don't want one now, or even in the foreseeable future. Between that sassy soon-to-be-five-year-old and that unyielding catastrophic force also known as my toddler, my hands are already full. Sometimes, a little too full (you may recall the paint incident).

But, maybe someday...

After I had Morgan (and became very, very sick) Adam and I decided that we wouldn't have any more children. Initially, I was okay with that decision. It just didn't make sense to put myself at risk for another serious health scare, and the progressive nature of CF must also be taken into account. Even if I were healthy enough to sustain another pregnancy, would I be healthy enough to care for another child down the road? And besides, we are so incredibly blessed to have had Morgan in the first place! We should just be grateful for that and call it good, right?

But as time went on, I began to realize that I wasn't okay with that decision at all.

I was unsure at the time what was causing such conflicting feelings.  Was it just the mother in me hating the thought of never holding another fresh-from-the-womb newborn to my chest? Was I upset about seeing my plans for a natural, peaceful second birth experience going out the window? Did I feel as if I'd somehow be letting Morgan down if I couldn't give her siblings? Was I disappointed that Adam would never get the boy he wanted? Or did it just feel so wrong because it was, in fact, the wrong decision for us?

I still don't have all the answers to those questions. But, as I began to express those feelings and concerns to Adam, he admitted that he also felt unsettled about it. Eventually, we came to the agreement that we do want another baby. (It feels good to say it out loud.)

So, now what? Will we try to have another, naturally? Would I even be able to get pregnant a second time? Would we consider adoption? Honestly, we have no idea. There are far too many unknowns at this point to make a plan. Right now we are simply trying to get my health to a more stable point and focus on loving the children that we do have. The details will work themselves out over time. I don't need another baby, or even a plan, just yet.

The HOPE of having another someday is enough to keep this mama happy....
  

...for now. 

6 comments:

  1. Amen, sister! I have almost no friends without children anymore. EVERYONE I know has a baby - most of them within the last 6 months! It gets pretty frustrating....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a weird thing to be in the same position, but not really ??? I can so relate, but then I can't...
    Lets just get you in the best health we can and see what God has in store for you!!!

    Thank you for being so open!!!

    missa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy, I remember those days ALL TOO WELL! Your time will come, and I can't wait for that day!

    Missa, I'm sure you can relate, although the situation is kind of reversed. =) You're exactly right when you say we'll just have to wait and see what He has in store for us. I don't know what the future holds, but I do know that deciding to NEVER even try again was simply heartbreaking. I'm very much at peace with not knowing right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too would love another baby!

    I wish you the best in your decision and I''m sure something will work out. It's lovely that you're open to adoption. You can try naturally, or adopt. You have plenty of options and a supporting husband. I'm sure you will find a way to have a little miracle once again. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It made me tear up to read that and I am so happy that you are not ruling out having another one. When you first told me that you guys had decided not to have any more I cried because I was so sad for you. You are such a good mom and love motherhood so much that it broke my heart to think of you not having any more babies. I am sure that Heavenly Father will help you guys know when and how is best for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teresa, thank you for your sweet words. I remember crying when you and I had a conversation about this, but I had no idea you felt that way about things. It will certainly be intersting to see how the future plays out for us.

    ReplyDelete

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!