Wednesday, October 13, 2010

My sister, the platypus

I once heard that the gestation period for a duck billed platypus is ten days.

I believe I read it in Ranger Rick years ago, which is where I also learned that meerkats are immune to the poison from snakes and scorpions, giraffes have the highest blood pressure of the whole animal kingdom and naked mole rats (which are neither rats nor moles) live in colonies run by a queen, much like bees. You'd be AMAZED by all the useless information stored in this noggin' of mine... but that's not the point.

The point is: TEN DAYS! Can you imagine what it would be like to find out you're expecting, then have a baby in your arms just a week and a half later? I can't even begin to fathom what that would be like (considering the fact that my pregnancy more closely resembled that of an elephant) but I do know someone who can relate.

In August, I posted about my sister and her husband being approved for adoption. During the last week of September, my sister got a phone call from their adoption case worker. Long story short, a birth mother had decided to ask them to be the parents of her baby. Totally awesome, right?

 Oh and did I mention, she was scheduled to be induced six days later?

Well, six days turned into ten (which is still a very short amount of time, but I'm sure it seemed like an eternity to my sister) and all of this rambling is to say that I'm JUST SO EXCITED to introduce you to my new nephew, Miles Edward.



 Aren't they the cutest little platypus family you ever saw?  

Congratulations Chris and Teresa!

1 comment:

  1. well, I just think it's a little odd that you remember weird stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!