Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Today I met a man

His name is Steve.

Born with cancer, Steve's leg had to be removed at the hip two days after birth.

Steve knows what it's like to be a child with a missing limb.

Steve also knows how difficult and expensive it can be for these children to get a good prosthetic.

So Steve is walking for these children.

He is walking from Salt Lake City to Saint George, UT (that's 365 miles, for those of you counting) and he's doing it on crutches!

He is walking to raise money to help cover the costs of prosthetics for children and to show amputees that while losing a limb is definitely challenging, it doesn't have to be disabling.

Maybe it's because I've recently experienced what it's like to lose the use of a limb (thank goodness my loss is only temporary)...

Maybe it's because I know what it's like to fight for a cause you believe in...

Maybe it's because I was so incredibly touched by this amazing man who is "Walking For Kids Who Can't"...

Maybe it's because I felt indebted to him personally for the Humble Pie and tall glass of Inspiration he'd just served me...

Whatever the reason, I HAD to donate. I really didn't have a choice. I probably donated more than I can afford to right now, but in the end I'd regret it if I hadn't. I am so happy to have had the opportunity to meet Steve today and I can certainly tell you that I am done making excuses for myself - I am getting back into my walking routine TONIGHT!

Walk, Steve, walk!
I am so grateful and truly honored to have been a even a tiny part of your incredible journey!


If you'd like to learn more about Steve Wahlquist, please visit his website Walk Steve Walk or check out his blog here.  

1 comment:

  1. wow, what a great story and what an amazing person. Thanks for sharing. I will have to check out the website.

    ReplyDelete

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!