Friday, August 6, 2010

Be well

Hopelessness. Helplessness. Self-loathing. Uncontrollable negative thoughts. Despair. Dejection. Sorrow. To some, these are just words. To others, they are ever present and very REAL emotions that must be dealt with on a daily basis. These are the same kind of emotions that have pushed one of my loved ones to the very brink of insanity... and suicide.

I'm talking about depression.

Before tonight, I was one of those people who read those words and saw just that... words. I am fortunate enough that I've never had to experience those things, personally. However, during a discussion with that loved one tonight I was given just a small glimpse into the world of depression and I've realized that it is a dark and scary place, far more horrendous than I had ever imagined. Part of me wants to run and hide and never look back, but I won't. I'm going to stand my ground and help her fight those demons.

I imagine what things would be like if she hadn't been able to think things through and stop herself. What if she were gone? It would be devastating. I can't imagine what this world would be like without her. She is so loved by so many, and she doesn't see it--can't see it!--because she is completely blinded and debilitated by this depression.

So, here and now, I'm committing to learn and try to understand more about this disease and as I do so, I can guarantee you that I'm going to dance a little crazier, laugh a little harder, sing out loud more often, kiss a little longer, give Morgan that extra cookie, smile at strangers, say "I love you" more and hold my friends and family just that much tighter.

And now, will you do me a favor? Take a few minutes out of your day to find someone, anyone, who thinks they're alone in this world and let them know they're wrong.

1 comment:

  1. I was actually about to write a post about depression. I just don't know how to start it I guess :(

    ReplyDelete

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!