Friday, June 25, 2010

Angels In Waiting


I just learned of Conner's passing.

I truly believe it was no coincidence that as I was driving home from work last night, I tuned into the local country radio station and heard these lyrics:

They always knew they'd never grow old, sometimes the body is weaker than the soul...

Just like that, I felt that all-too-familiar lump building up in my throat and the tears began flowing. I've always been touched by what a sweet tribute this song is to the artist's brothers (story below). Now, every time I hear it, I'll think of Conner.

Breathe easy, sweet boy...

-----------------------------------

"Angels In Waiting" by Tammy Cochran


We camped out on the living room floor
In our old sleeping bags, by a make believe fire.
In a tent made of covers, we talked for hours,
My two brothers and me.
Keeping the faith; racing with destiny.


They were angels in waiting.
Waiting for wings to fly from this world, away from their pain.
Treasuring time, til time came to leave,
Leaving behind sweet memories.
Angels in waiting; angels in waiting for wings.


They always knew they'd never grow old.
Sometimes the body is weaker than the soul.
In their darkest hour, I made a promise
I will always keep:
I'll give them life, I'll let them live through me.


They were angels in waiting.
Waiting for wings to fly from this world, away from their pain.
Treasuring time, til time came to leave,
Leaving behind sweet memories.
Angels in waiting, angels in waiting for wings.
Angels in waiting; angels in waiting for me.


They were angels in waiting.
Waiting for wings to fly from this world, away from their pain.
Treasuring time, til time came to leave,
Leaving behind sweet memories.
Angels in waiting, angels in waiting for wings.
Angels in waiting; angels in waiting for me

------------------------------------

"Cochran is the youngest child in a family of three siblings. Both of her brothers, Alan and Shawn, were born with cystic fibrosis, a terminal lung disease which claimed both of their lives."

"When I got my record deal in '98, I knew that I wanted to write a song for my brothers who passed away with cystic fibrosis... I wrote this song for my own personal healing, and then when I realized how many other people it helped, I thought, well you know what? It's kind of selfish of me not to share it! I'm pretty active in the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation--my family always has been. So, to me it's like spreading awareness, too."

"My brother told me when he was really, really sick that he was not going to be here very long. So, you know, he said 'You just live for both of us and we'll be fine.' Which is what I'm trying to do."

(Adapted from CMT.com news. For full article, please click here.)

2 comments:

  1. I've been following her blog since you first mentioned it. I'm glad that he is not suffering anymore and that their lives can move on from the horrible limbo that they've been in, but my heart breaks for their family. Chris and I both cried as we read her post about his passing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My CF Angel -
    CF Angel
    The sadness overwhelms me
    I Can't take another breath
    The sudden tragic loss
    Of this a senseless death
    I would take your place
    Give my life for yours
    If only that could be the case
    I'd have no remorse.

    You're now my angel
    Watching over me
    Guiding me through all my trials
    You'll never let me be...
    Alone again, wishing it could change
    Wanting what can't be undone.
    Your breath, your heart,
    Will always be as one - within my own.


    Your life's a light,
    My beacon through the night.
    Death cannot extinguish you,
    You shine on just as bright
    The storm clouds overhead
    Are parted by your beam
    Your ray of light and hope
    Shines through a steady stream.

    You're now my angel
    Watching over me
    Guiding me through all my trials
    You'll never let me be...
    Alone again, wishing it could change
    Wanting what can't be undone.
    Your breath, your heart,
    Will always be as one - within my own.

    I want to see you now
    I speak but you're not here.
    What once to us was just routine
    Are things I cannot bear.
    How can I go on
    Without you in this place?
    But in this moment now,
    I felt you touch my face...

    You're now my angel
    Watching over me
    Guiding me through all my trials
    You'll never let me be...
    Alone again, wishing it could change
    Wanting what can't be undone.
    Your breath, your heart,
    Will always be as one - within my own.

    Now I know for sure
    I'll never be alone
    You're forever by my side
    Your soul's within my own
    In those times when darkness falls
    And life is crushing in
    Your spirit lifts me up
    You touch me from within.

    You're My CF Angel
    Watching over me
    Guiding me through all my trials
    You'll never let me be...
    Alone again, wishing it could change
    Wanting what can't be undone.
    Your breath, your heart,
    Will always be as one - within my own.


    dkBusfield 7/23/2007

    ReplyDelete

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!