Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Learning to slow down

“Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where you are going and why.” -Eddie Cantor
Recently, I made a quick trip to the little gas station in town to rent a DVD from RedBox. For no reason other than the fact that she'd asked SO POLITELY, I brought Shylee along with me. She studied the pictures carefully, making sure to call my attention to each and every one that looked like it might be a children's movie. I tried to explain to her that even though 'ZOMBIELAND' had a very colorful title, I suspected there were other movies that she'd much rather see. We eventually decided on 'UP'. When she asked if she could push the buttons pretty please, instead of telling her "JUST LET ME HURRY AND DO IT" like I often do, I sighed and said "WHY NOT?" then lifted her up so she could reach the screen.

Several mintues later (it takes a bit longer to rent a movie when a four year old is the one operating the RedBox) we were in the car and on our way back home. As we pulled into the driveway Shylee said to me with a huge grin, "That was so much fun! Do you think we could go push buttons again tomorrow?"

It was so darn cute, it just about broke my heart. Something that small, but something I usually feel too hurried to let her do, TOTALLY made her day. Why do I allow myself to feel so rushed, so incredibly busy, that I can't stop and take an extra couple mintues to do things like that more often? This is something I've really been trying to improve on lately, and this little experience made me realize once again how important it is to just take it easy every now and then.

And so, after thinking about it for a minute, I smiled and said "That WAS so much fun! I'd love to push buttons with you again. And maybe next time I'll even let you swipe the card."

2 comments:

  1. AMEN! You are so right, its the little things that the little ones remember and I feel God has put them in our lives with their open little minds to remind us of the little things

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute!! And how great was UP?!

    I will have to take my niece to push buttons ;)

    ReplyDelete

First of all, thanks for reading my blog. Whether you visit regularly or this happens to be your first time here, I'd love to hear from you!